[RkWard-devel] Compiling problems.

David Sibai lordofthemoose at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 12 13:22:45 UTC 2004

Hi,
A little googling:
 http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/04/1503.html
shows that libR.so simply does not exist for Fedora Core systems since R is
not built with the --enable-shlibs option. I suppose your R binary must be
fairly big, while mine is very small (6k).
Maybe you could rebuild R with the necessary options? You may also want to try
the debian packages as well (if you installed rpms on your system why not
debs), which do include the --enable-shlibs option.

David

On Friday 13 August 2004 15:01, Doc wrote:
> Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde/ --with-extra-libs=/usr/lib/R/bin/
> >> --with-extra-includes=/usr/lib/R/include/
> >>

> >> But now I get another error:
> >>

> >> Is there anything missing? (../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot
> >> find -lR) ??
> >
> > This time obviously the path for the includes was correct. However the
> > compiled library could not be found. In full the file should be called
> > "libR.so". Check whether that's really in /usr/lib/R/bin/ and adjust
> > the --with-extra-libs option otherwise.
> > Does anybody on this list know, where that could be on slackware?
>
> I've done a search on my HD but this file doesn't exist. I have R
> installed, 'cause I can run it and do things.
> The only file close to this one is:
> /usr/lib/R/bin/libRlapack.so
> Maybe I need to install something?
> To install I used the official R-Project binary file for Fedora Core 2
> (rpm, 'cause there's no slackware package for this app), but the app is
> fully working...
>
> >> One more thing, I don't know how to code, but if I can do anything to
> >> help you with your project, just tell me and I'll try. I can for example
> >> make some translations, and of course I can test your releases.
> >>
> >> Thanks for this app, i've been waiting for a statistical analysis
> >> software for linux similar to SPSS for a long time.
> >
> > Well, probably you'll have to wait a little while longer. RKWard is
> > not really useful yet. That also means that it does not really make
> > much sense yet to start with translations.
> > I'm planning to compile a list of items that people could start
> > working on without having to know much about RKWard internals, so if
> > somebody would like to contribute, they will have good starting
> > points. For the time being, most of these items will require some
> > programming knowledge however, esp. Qt/KDE. Once things have
> > stabilized some more, of course, writing documentation and
> > translations will be important tasks, and I'd be happy, if your offer
> > would still be valid then.
> > Of course suggestions and bug-reports are useful, too. I appreciate
> > all help I can get.
> >
> > Thomas

> Any ideas?

You have a truly strong individuality.