[RkWard-devel] Compiling problems.

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Aug 12 10:06:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

> ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde/ --with-extra-libs=/usr/lib/R/bin/
> --with-extra-includes=/usr/lib/R/include/

> But now I get another error:

> Is there anything missing? (../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot
> find -lR) ??

This time obviously the path for the includes was correct. However the
compiled library could not be found. In full the file should be called
"libR.so". Check whether that's really in /usr/lib/R/bin/ and adjust the
--with-extra-libs option otherwise.
Does anybody on this list know, where that could be on slackware?

> One more thing, I don't know how to code, but if I can do anything to
> help you with your project, just tell me and I'll try. I can for example
> make some translations, and of course I can test your releases.
>
> Thanks for this app, i've been waiting for a statistical analysis
> software for linux similar to SPSS for a long time.

Well, probably you'll have to wait a little while longer. RKWard is not really
useful yet. That also means that it does not really make much sense yet to
start with translations.
I'm planning to compile a list of items that people could start working on
without having to know much about RKWard internals, so if somebody would like
to contribute, they will have good starting points. For the time being, most
of these items will require some programming knowledge however, esp. Qt/KDE.
Once things have stabilized some more, of course, writing documentation and
translations will be important tasks, and I'd be happy, if your offer would
still be valid then.
Of course suggestions and bug-reports are useful, too. I appreciate all help I
can get.