[Rkward-devel] Contributions/Tips

thomas thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 20 13:20:35 UTC 2002

Hi!

> In my "spare" time i'm a web developer and unix/linux admin with 7 years of
> experiencies/love_for. I'm not a C++ developer but a PHP coder that for my
> thesis develop a groupware for survey management and real-time stat/graph
> production. This "game" teach me on a lot of things.. especially boxplot,
> multi-boxplot and so on.

Those skills might come in handy at some point in the project.

> On RKWard: I'm thinkin' on the same project and some time ago I realize
> statistika.sourceforge.net ...nothing more that a point of discussion
> between two friends (1 statistician(me) and 1 C++ developer). The time goes
> bye e nothing came up.. so i'm here to enjoy with you. I spammed already a
> lot of people that could be interested and could contribute to this
> project.. me too.

The project could indeed need a good statistician. Right now, however, the
syntax/semantics for the plugins is still very unfinished, and likely to
change, so it does not make much sense to put a lot of effort into writing
plugin yet.

> Obversive is another cool project, but joint forces is better for a common
> result.. i think ;)

As a matter of fact, I've been exchanging a few mails with the
obveRsive-project, and we might join forces soon.

> I appreciate the way of kparts/koffice integration and SPSS GUI-like-model.
> Actually i think that with the release of Kde3.1 we could think/use SVG
> graph report.. all XML derivative, easy to export easy to play.

Should this project be joined with obveRsive however, that would mean to go
for something truely portable, i.e. not use KDE/kparts. Office integration
might be a good deal harder to accomplish then, but surely still possible in
some way.
I'd be happy to get some feedback on what everybody else thinks. Should we
rather go for a cross-platform solution with probably more developers, or
should we try to create a solution that fits smoothly into KDE (with probably
fewer developers)? Would anybody willing to contribute do so only under one
of these conditions?
By the way, as far as the SPSS-like GUI is concerned, my current thoughts are,
to have the app start up looking much like SPSS, so people migrating from
there will feel at home. The GUI should however allow a lot more flexibility
than SPSS, and esp. be able to deal with multiple sets of data (objects).

> Soon i'll make a report for usability issues.
> When RKward will be i18n compatible? I'm ready to start Italian
> localization.

Not quite yet. This first release was just a rough draft. The next step is to
determine, which direction the project should be heading. This may mean
changing substantial portions of the code, or even program everything again
from the ground up (it was not actually that much work, anyway) using a
different toolkit. Therefore, I think it's still a bit early for localization
efforts. Thanks for your offer, however, and stay tuned.