Suggestion to drop ktp from KDE Gear

Heiko Becker heiko.becker at kde.org
Thu Jun 22 23:52:46 BST 2023

On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 21:48:16 CEST, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimecres, 21 de juny de 2023, a les 18:35:28 (CEST), Jonathan Riddell va
> escriure:
>> I'd like to suggest dropping ktp packages from the next KDE Gear release.
>> Telepathy upstream is unmaintained, KTP is unmaintained and discussions
>> with one of the original authors says it should be dropped.
>>
>> Modules we release are:
>> ktp-accounts-kcm ...
>
> Is it working? Unless it isn't i don't see why we need to drop it.

Not very pleasantly...

I tried:

- ICQ: doesn't work because pidgin remove support for it in 2021 because
the protocol changed in 2017
- AIM: I never had an account there, but the situation is exactly the same
as for ICQ
- Skype: Doesn't work, but probably due to me missing
https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin
- Telegram: Way too shady for me to give them my phone number and I'm
missing telepathy-morse anyway, so no idea if it works
- Office/Bonjour: These are a tad weird, they don't error out, but the UI
is so basic that I'm not sure how to do something with it
- Google Hangouts: Asks to sign in with google, but that errors out after
entering an email, maybe because it was shut down on November 1, 2022
- Yahoo: piding has removed it in 2016, because they totally changed the
protocol after August 5th, 2016
- XMPP seems to somewhat work and I could enter a chat room
- GG (former Gadu-Gadu): Can't register "The ability to create a new
account has been blocked."

So, at the very least we should remove some accounts, where the respective
service doesn't exist/work anymore and remove ktp-call-ui, which depends on
qt-gstreamer which is realldy dead and archived upstream and a pain to keep
building (no idea how to test it...).

But given the above, the fact that nobody seemed to care enough to notice
that, the mentioned maintenance state of the telepathy stack and the
apparently very low number of people willing to invest time on its
maitenance on our side, I'm in favour of just dropping it.

Regards,
Heiko