releases driven through invent?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Oct 24 13:52:24 BST 2022

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 3:41 PM Heiko Becker <heiko.becker at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 October 2022 11:44:12 CEST, Harald Sitter wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:52 AM Antonio Rojas <arojas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >
> > plasma-workspace-1.0.0.25.tar.xz
> > plasma-desktop-1.0.0.0.tar.xz
> >
> >> Having each project tarball have a different version number at
> >> release time would make it a packaging hell.
> >
> > How so? You need only ever pick the highest version number.
>
> Wearing my distro packager hat, I can understand the concerns because to
> pick the highest version you obviously need to know it. For one package
> this is not that much of a problem, but for example for >= 200 packages
> released with Gear it can be.

Can't we figure out the highest version relatively easily through
automation? We intentionally use digit-only versions so that they can
be fed into version compare mechanisms without much worry for the many
styles of -rc, ~beta, .a suffixes.

> Furthermore I'm a little concerned that the same last digit can stand for a
> "private" and public release as well, just depending on the unrelated fact
> if a respin was needed or not. I assume using something like -rcN, like
> Frameworks currently do, is not that attractive because after the testing
> phase all final tarballs need to be created, even if they are identical to
> the last -rc, right?

Yeah, the -rcN scheme seems inappropriate with the invent workflow.

I'm curious what the concern with pubic versus private is though.
Isn't the workflow the same regardless? I mean, I somewhat
intentionally treat them the same because the workflow I imagine is
the same regardless. So, less code over all.

- walk all tarballls
- determine highest versions
- check if highest version is packaged
- if not packaged prepare a new package and propose MR (or whatever
each distro does to actually land a new release)

The only difference between public and private is where you land stuff, no?

HS