releases driven through invent?

Heiko Becker heiko.becker at kde.org
Fri Oct 21 14:41:30 BST 2022

On Friday, 21 October 2022 11:44:12 CEST, Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:52 AM Antonio Rojas <arojas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> plasma-workspace-1.0.0.25.tar.xz
> plasma-desktop-1.0.0.0.tar.xz
>
>> Having each project tarball have a different version number at
>> release time would make it a packaging hell.
>
> How so? You need only ever pick the highest version number.

Wearing my distro packager hat, I can understand the concerns because to
pick the highest version you obviously need to know it. For one package
this is not that much of a problem, but for example for >= 200 packages
released with Gear it can be.
Furthermore I'm a little concerned that the same last digit can stand for a
"private" and public release as well, just depending on the unrelated fact
if a respin was needed or not. I assume using something like -rcN, like
Frameworks currently do, is not that attractive because after the testing
phase all final tarballs need to be created, even if they are identical to
the last -rc, right?