Frameworks releases timing

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Sep 8 22:54:14 BST 2021

Frameworks 5.86 haven't been released yet; from the calendar it looks like
that will happen next week. However, there's a couple of Linux distro's that
have packages up already. This makes the repology.org feed for frameworks a
little weird -- 5.86.0 is "green" because it's latest, because it's available
from two (?) distro's, but it's not officially released.

Nearly everyone is red, because they ship the released 5.85.0.

Regular people who might want to build-from-source (released tarballs, not
git) can't even get the 5.86 tarballs yet.

I happen to have access to the FreeBSD packaging "stage" tree, so I can see
that Tobias -- who has access to that tree, and **also** access to the pre-
release tarballs -- has prepared the packages for the release, but not pushed
the button to move it from staging to the real tree. Pushing that button would
break source builds for me, a regular(-ish) user, because I can't fetch the
pre-release tarballs.

Anyway, long-story short:
- should distro's be packaging up pre-release tarballs?
- is there a polite tap-on-the-shoulder kind of message to send to distro's if
the answer is "no", to remind them not to push out packages before the dust
settles? (e.g. for respins &c)

[ade]