Please make kio-extras dependency on kdsoap optional due to (temporary) license issues

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 24 20:47:39 GMT 2020

On lundi 23 mars 2020 14:12:08 CET Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (distributions at kde.org CC'd)
>
> kio-extras for 20.04 has gained a new, mandatory dependency in the form of
> the kdsoap library. However, this library has currently some licensing
> issues[1] [2] (first one already fixed) which can prevent the use by some
> distributions (these came up when reviewing the package in openSUSE).

Isn't that a little bit of an overreaction? KDSoap is available under multiple
licenses (LGPL, GPL and commerical), and we give the terms for all those
licenses in 3 different files.
Sure, the terms of the commercial license aren't acceptable to a Linux distro,
but that's the whole point of triple-licensing, you can use one of the other
licenses: LGPL or GPL.

> Given the fact that due to the worldwide disruptions caused by the current
> pandemic it might not be reasonable to have these issues fixed by the time
> 20.04 is out, I'd like to ask for this dependency to be made optional.

I don't even see what there is to fix here.

Why is it OK for Qt to be available under a triple-license scheme, but not for
KDSoap?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5