2 kirigami fixes for a point release

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 18:26:21 GMT 2020

On 2/17/20 11:08 PM, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data martedì 18 febbraio 2020 04:03:05 CET, Nate Graham ha scritto:
>
>> think KDE software should be presented to users. Basically, we
>> acknowledge that Neon is already an actual OS--the "KDE OS"--and we
>
> Please don't suggest such downstream-hostile solutions, in particular because
> this failing is entirely upstream. We have already plenty in FOSS, I don't
> want KDE to be yet another community that "adopts" them.
>
> "We messed up so let's make things our way" is not an acceptable approach.

Neon is already an OS, whether or not you want to admit it. It's
installed from an ISO. A hardware vendor (Slimbook) is shipping it on
laptops that people can and do buy. My wife has it installed on her
computer. It's an OS as much as any other Ubuntu-derived distro can be
considered an OS.

I actually happen to use openSUSE Tumbleweed myself instead of Neon for
a variety of reasons, and I'm happy with it. I'm not saying "Neon is an
OS!" because I think everyone should immediately switch to it and stop
using other distros. There's room in the universe of KDE distros for one
more that happens to be a first-party product--as evidenced by the fact
that Neon has existed for four years and the whole world hasn't come
tumbling down. I mean, Microsoft got into the PC hardware business in
competition with Dell, HP, Toshiba, et al, and it didn't destroy their
business. Far from it: the new entries from Microsoft spurred everyone
else to improve their own offerings, broadly lifting the quality of PC
hardware for everyone.

Nate