Deprecating Old Amarok Versions

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Oct 2 15:46:44 BST 2019

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 15:28, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:

> Jonathan Riddell ha scritto:
> > I'd like to propose deprecating old Amarok versions which are still on
> > download in the stable directory https://download.kde.org/stable/amarok/
>

> What do you mean by deprecating? I don't think we never did it. What is the
> harm on leaving them as they are, as we did with all the other software
> before?

Removing from https://kde.org/applications/
Removing from download.kde.org
Sending out a notice that is it deprecated and unsupported.

> > Phonon no longer provides Qt 4 bindings so it is not usable with the
> rest of
> > current KDE software.
> >

> If this is the only reason, then I don't think it's strong enough. As
> Harald
> wrote, the old version of phonon can be co-installed, if someone really
> want:
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-distro-packagers/2019-August/000383.html
>
> and I can confirm that it's working.

Qt 4 hasn't been supported since 2015.  Phonon no longer support it.  KDE
needs to take responsibility for the software it puts out and not leave it
up to other organisations to decide what the status is of our software.

Jonathan