KDE Applications rename to KDE Apps Bundle

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri May 10 20:56:10 BST 2019

On 5/10/19 12:07 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> I strongly object this solution. "Apps bundle" is just another generic name which does not solve the issue of people distinguishing between "all applications/projects by KDE" and "that specific set of stuff (not just applications) released together every 4 months".

I think the root cause is that the bundle's contents *are* arbitrary.
Why is Konsole in the bundle but Yakuake isn't? Why is Kdenlive in, but
Digikam isn't? JuK vs Elisa? Why isn't Discover in it?

No name will succeed in differentiating the contents because right now
there's nothing to differentiate. To solve this problem, we'd need to
either be more inclusive and try to get as many apps as possible into
the bundle, or else clearly define what the bundle is and then be more
exclusive, removing apps that don't fit that definition.

If neither of those approaches work, then probably the bundle will
continue to be a semi-random collection of apps and no name is going to
adequately describe the contents, so IMHO we might as well pick
something that's best for the promo team to advertise it.

"KDE Apps Bundle" feels fine to me, FWIW.

Nate