Possible issue with the dependency freeze for 19.04

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Fri Mar 29 11:20:45 GMT 2019

On Friday, March 29, 2019 11:42:03 AM CET laurent Montel wrote:
> Le vendredi 29 mars 2019, 10:43:57 CET Daniel Vrátil a écrit :
> > On Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:51:49 PM CET Heiko Becker wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wondered why korganizer and mailcommon suddenly moved from phonon to
> > > qtmultimedia and I tried to get some information about it (Turns out the
> > > commit messages don't help one bit, e.g. "Clean up"). Anyway, this
> > > happened
> > > on 21 March, a week after dependency freeze and it was suggested to me
> > > bring this to the attention of this mailing list.
> >
> > I think we should revert this - QtMultimedia is not integrated with KDE
> > the
> > way Phonon is - we should use Phonon in KDE apps to provide consistent
> > experience.
> >
> > Laurent, what was the motivation for the switch?
>
> Just for reducing extra lib.
> Just for playing a song (when a message arrives) I don't see why we need to
> add this dependency.

You literally only replaced one dependency by another. Absolutely nothing was
gained here....the entire PIM already depends on Phonon, everything in KDE
depends on Phonon, all you achieved by this is, that the app no longer follows
user's KDE-wide audio settings.

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683