Special license for ca,ca at valencia and uk?

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 08:57:29 UTC 2018

Hey,

> > grep -rl  'This file is distributed under the license LGPL version 2.1 or'
> > po po/ca at valencia/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/uk/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/ca/akonadinotes5.po
>
> The license in .po files is dependent for each translation team. Some
> translation teams may have a license policy, and some other translation
> teams may not have a license policy.
>
> For "ca" and "ca at valencia" teams, we use the first bullet at item #4
> (pointed from #7, translations) from https://community.kde.org/Policies/
> Licensing_Policy:
>
> LGPL version 2.1, or version 3 or later versions approved by the membership
> of KDE e.V.
>
> We use this license when we have the agreement of all translators of the
> file. So, we have some files (most of them) with this license, but also
> some files without license because we missed some translators.

Do not understand me wrong, it is releaseable with the current selection of
licenses. It is just annoying, that if you want to list the complete license
for one package you need to add a special license block for three
translations. I would prefer either no special license for translations, if
shipped inside a package or have one license for complete po subdir.

As also the uk team answered, that they could switch the license all three
teams are available - But neither I nor others can force you to switch the
license.

> > grep -rL  'This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE
> > package.' po po/pt/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/nb/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/ca at valencia/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/ja/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/ga/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/de/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/lt/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/sk/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/bs/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/uk/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/fi/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/it/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/ca/akonadinotes5.po
> > po/sr/akonadinotes5.po
> >
> > Also consider to get rid of the useless line:
> >
> > Copyright (C) 2014 This_file_is_part_of_KDE
>
> I think this line is present in template (.pot ) files, which are the source
> for translation (.po) files.
>
> > Either mark the copyright holder one person/group/etc. or remove it
> > completely.
>
> Below this line, there is a line for each contributor to the file, with the
> name, email and year of contribution. I'm not sure about removing the
> "Copyright" line.

Well all tools I know will report the Copyright line as author. Normally you
use those Copyright lines to represent the authors of the file. You can
replace this with the actual authors of the file. This at least would return
useful information:

Here for the ca translation:

# Copyright (C) 2014-2017 Antoni Bella Pérez <antonibella5 at yahoo.com>
# Copyright (C) 2017 Josep Ma. Ferrer <txemaq at gmail.com>
#
# This file is distributed under the license LGPL version 2.1 or
# version 3 or later versions approved by the membership of KDE e.V.

sandro