Clarification on requirements for a release

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue Jul 4 10:01:12 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 11:55:24 CEST Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Cool
> >>
> >> You are not my supervisor.
> >
> > Please bear in mind you were the one (if my memory is correct) who
> > pushed for everyone to include *.asc signatures with every released
> > tarball
>
> You mean the one I *discussed* with the plasma release manager? Then
> *announced* our *intention* on this very mailing list inviting others
> to follow suit. Then proceeded to argue why we need it and why we need
> it the way we intend to do it. Then helped figure out a workflow that
> will work for how frameworks and apps are released.
>
> No, I will not have this bullshit.
>
> Had you had a problem with how the tarball signing implementation went
> down, then you would have been welcome to shout at me for being a
> douchebag THEN AND THERE. You even replied to the friggin tarball
> signing thread. You could literally have thrown in a PS: harald you
> suck. You did not. You absolutely do not get to defend your shady
> background rule-making crap this way.

And this is not the point.

The point was this sentence:
- "releasing tarballs is enough of a chore as it is."

Ben described that the requirements for the release are not heavey at all, let
me quote the part that you cut out from the answer:

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 09:41:56 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> In terms of the "chore" of releasing tarballs, the only part we
> require is two things which aren't exactly time consuming: upload to
> incoming, create ticket with the destination and a list of files and
> hashes.

Translated this means: the process is not complicated on the sysadmin side.
The biggest requirement (without any judgement about it, it was just a
description of it) is the signing process, added recently.

So I suggest to calm down, probably open up the ticket at the beginning of the
discussion to show everyone what was written there. And calm down again, and
re-read the code of conduct.

--
Luigi