PIM versioning and dependencies

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Aug 27 10:40:18 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:02:21 PM CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a little bit of an issue in PIM at the moment. It can be
>> broken down into 3 separate issues, but overall from my perspective
>> the PIM team is violating established practice in the community.
>>
>> The first issue concerns the dependency bump to Qt 5.8. This has not
>> announced or discussed on any community wide list, either prior or
>> after the bump was made. As a consequence of this, a series of
>> Extragear applications which previously could be built on FreeBSD can
>> no longer be built.
>
> Are the CI requirements for each platform documented somewhere? Where can we
> see which versions of which dependencies we can use on each platform?

In the case of Qt, it's part of the platform name on the CI system
which is part of the job name.

For everything else it's a bit more difficult as some of our images
are based on rolling distributions.
The versions for Linux images will be viewable in the latest "Docker
Generate <Platform>" job.
A similar job called "Craft Cache Rebuild" is also available for Windows.

In the case of FreeBSD, those slaves are manually managed at the
moment so there is no easy outside way to check i'm afraid, aside from
examining the CMake output, which should include details on versions
which have been found.

>> The second issue concerns maintenance of our internal metadata files,
>> which define the dependencies between various bits of KDE software.
>> These files are used by the CI system to provision dependencies, and
>> kdesrc-build to sequence items to be built.
>>
>> Since the last release was branched the PIM developers have added a
>> new dependency to kdepim-runtime. This change happened well over a
>> week ago, and they have yet to update the metadata files accordingly.
>> While this may seem minor, if someone is trying to build a single
>> application and it's corresponding dependencies they'll run into
>> problems because neither the CI system or kdesrc-build will know about
>> this new dependency they've added.
>
> My bad, I was convinced we were already building kdepim-runtime with libkgapi.
> I have corrected it now.

Thanks.

>> The third issue concerns the practice of version management within
>> PIM. Currently the master branch of PIM is broken because it appears
>> that one or more repositories have been missed in the latest round of
>> bumping.
>
> All master versions are >= 5.6.40.

Hmm, I don't see this commit at
https://build.kde.org/job/Applications%20syndication%20kf5-qt5%20FedoraQt5.8/changes
?

> I see KBlog and Akregator build failed due missing Syndication dependency.
> Looks like the Syndication build was triggered after KBlog and Akregator,
> triggering a new build of those two should fix it.

I've triggered a build now of all the "Dependency Build" jobs for
Applications. These are special in that they rebuild everything that
anything within it's given product/platform/branch group combination
depends on.

If there are any sequencing issues then those jobs will eliminate it,
however they will take several hours to complete.
(They start from ECM, working their way up through Frameworks and then
everything else which is required, and don't reuse any previously
built binaries)

> Looks like I lost the rights to manually trigger builds on CI after the
> upgrade, so I can't fix it until we make a commit.

I've now given you those rights.

> Dan

Cheers,
Ben