Dropping kdelibs4-based applications in KDE Applications 17.12

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Nov 15 06:53:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El divendres, 11 de novembre de 2016, a les 18:24:42 CET, Christoph Feck va
> escriure:

>> Will we still release the KDE4 platform for not-yet-ported extragear
>> applications (Amarok etc.) with 17.12?
>>
>> If we stop releasing it, then we should also move all unported
>> applications to 'unmaintained'. Any developer willing to port can
>> surrect it from there.
>
> I personally think that's a bit extreme tbh, if a group of developers are
> stubbornly fixated in developing for kdelibs4 and not KF5 I don't see why we
> should not let them do the releases if they want to.
>
> But this seems a bit hypothetical, I *hope* any actively maintained
> "extregear" app will be KF5-based in a year :)

>From my perspective, i'd like to drop CI support for Qt 4 based code
as soon as possible. Keeping it alive requires a whole additional set
of jobs and associated infrastructure, for something which receives
little development attention (comparatively).

Chances are we'll have to keep this support alive until Applications
17.08 is released, at which point I think we should drop it
completely, even if Extragear projects continue to use KDE 4 / Qt 4
based sources.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Regards,