KDEPIM (16.12) and Gpgme minimum requirement

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Nov 3 20:25:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thursday 03 November 2016 18:57:34 Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 3. November 2016, 11:45:47 schrieb Sandro Knauß:
> That's good news from my (KGpg) point of view, as we were recently in a
> discussion which versions we need to support. We do not need gpgme itself,
> but we use the headers to get some algorithm defines.

I really encourage you to use gpgme, It's the defined API for GnuPG and
programs using gnupg should use it! :-). I held a talk about why you should
use gpgme, or better qgpgme / gpgmepp recently but sadly the video from that
talk is still not published. :-( Slides [1] and Abstract [2] are published but
I don't think they capture the main point which is: "Use gpgme or don't ever
complain about output / interface changes in gnupg, using gnupg in a program
without GpgME is like using private API"

> Does that version of GpgME bring a CMake config file with it so we can drop
> the FindGpgME.cmake we copied somewhere from?

I think I've convinced the maintainer of GpgME to install pkg-config files in
the future for GpgME, we had some loud arguments (beer involved) about finding
GpgME at build time (especially on Windows). I think I can get pkg-config files
upstream and then the cmake config file should be doable, too. Because the
overall maintainer of gpgme thinks that pkg-config is an unportable devilish
thing, created by these young people who don't care about compatibility with
systems from the 70'ies, just like cmake ;-) . So if I can get in a pkg-config
file in I also should be able to get in a cmake config file in and I already got
the ok for pkg-config.

Just have to do it, but I think I can do it for 1.7.2. (no promises as the
overall maintainer might veto it)

Regards,
Andre

1: https://files.intevation.de/users/aheinecke/gpgme.pdf