[Kde-pim] Unannounced dependency bump?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Jun 29 11:30:05 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:11:42 PM CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at kde.org> wrote:

> >> The problem is a grantleetheme problem. It was a bad commit.
> >> It's fixed.
> >
> > Note that GrantleeTheme is our internal library.

> > Excluding honest mistakes like this one, our only issue is with build
> > order
> > due to API changes across modules. If I break API in one module and push a
> > fix to another module that depends on the new API, it will break if it
> > finishes before the first one. If I wait with pushing the API adjustment
> > in the other module but someone else triggers the build anyway, we have
> > the same problem. We cannot prevent this easily unless the CI can ensure
> > build order....
> Something we can't do (imagine what would happen if kcoreaddons was
> building - everything else would sit waiting for it to finish and so
> on down the line).
>
> The Jenkins mechanism for this is known as Upstream/Downstream jobs -
> and I believe if the information is made available then Jenkins will
> wait for upstream builds to finish and trigger downstream builds (a
> main reason why we don't have this setup - a kcoreaddons build would
> trigger a full CI rebuild effectively, something which takes many
> hours).
>
> You can already see that mechanism at work for part of Frameworks, and
> the cascade that creates.

Yeah, I know we discussed this before. I don't expect this to be enabled on
the KDE CI, I'm just pointing out this is the reason we may be having more
build failures than others....

> > I'd like to point out that Plasma 5.7 is currently way more broken than
> > our
> > stable release on the CI. Should we consider moving Plasma to playground
> > as
> > well....?
>
> Do note that PIM has required Sysadmin intervention to fix it's CI on
> enough occasions that i've lost count, due to CMake library version
> bumps, unnecessary so-version bumps, binary incompatibility (requring
> intermediary libraries to be rebuilt)

Well this is all related to the above, isn't it? Something we should be able
to handle ourselves by rebuilding manually.

Right, that happened once and we said sorry already :-)

> It's not only CI that has issues
> with PIM buildability as well - other KDE developers have issues with
> it as well often being the sole source of failures in their
> kdesrc-build runs.

I do "kdesrc-build kde-pimlibs kde-pim" quite often without any issues. If the
devs don't contact us, we can hardly fix something....

> In regards to Plasma - i've already discussed that with them, their
> breakages are due to dependence on Qt 5.6 which the stable-kf5-qt5
> branch group doesn't have available as it runs 5.5. The change in
> stable-kf5-qt5 branch groups was normal - they're preparing for a
> release I believe. This is something which will be fixed.
>
> >> I think that we don't make error when we don't work!
> >> So yep there is some CI error but we fix them.
> >>
> >> If you want to remove it from CI not a problem for me.
> >
> > Yeah, let's not do that. We need the CI to catch problems like this one
> > and
> > run our tests...
> >
> > ...speaking of which, Qt on the CI is broken: Cannot mix incompatible Qt
> > library (version 0x50601) with this library (version 0x50602)
> >
> > https://build.kde.org/view/KDE-PIM/job/messagelib%20master%20kf5-qt5/327/
> > PLATFORM=Linux,compiler=gcc/testReport/junit/(root)/TestSuite/
> > akonadi_sqlite_followupreminderselectdatedialogtest/
>
> Probably needs a rebuild of Akonadi - newer Qt won't like the plugin
> being built against an older Qt even when it's within the same patch
> version family.
> Qt is known to be binary incompatible like this across even patch
> releases (i've no idea why they enforce this silly restriction)
>
> The installation of given dependencies is guaranteed to be consistent
> by the method the CI system uses to build, install and distribute
> projects - so this isn't within the installation of Qt.
> Between projects though is another story - the Akonadi SQLite plugin
> likely being the cause here.

Thanks, I triggered a rebuild of Akonadi-master.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org