Plasma 5.8 LTS

Martin Schlander martin.schlander at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:02:47 UTC 2016

Torsdag den 14. juli 2016 01:05:51 skrev Albert Astals Cid:
> El dilluns, 11 de juliol de 2016, a les 8:37:12 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
>
> escriure:
> > On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:30:59AM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > Incase anyone missed it, we have had a kickoff meeting for Plasma 5.8
> > > and decided to make it an LTS release with updates continuing for 18
> > > months after release and depending on Qt 5.6 (also LTS).  Release is
> > > mid-October.
> > >
> > > http://jriddell.org/2016/07/08/plasma-5-8-lts-kickerd-off-for-stability-> > > an
> > > d-performance/
> >
> > Having decided that, we need to work out the faffy stuff to make it
> > possible.  It presumably needs a new branch for i18n for the LTS and
> > possibly a new pointer to the LTS branch in repo-metadata.  Who should I
> > talk to about making those happen?
>
> We historically only support only one stable branch in KDE i18n.
>
> I don't see myself adapting all our scripts and websites to support another
> additional stable branch.
>
> Since it's going to be a "stable" branch and won't have new strings do we
> really need a new branch for it?

Speaking as a translator I agree with Albert that it's probably not worth the
effort creating another l10n branch.

Translators will have 4-5 months to complete 5.8 translations before 5.9
enters the stable branch. And after that point very few translators would pay
attention to the 5.8 branch anyway, since it would require some additional
workflow, new Lokalize profiles etc., for very few string changes, if any at
all.