KDE Frameworks 5.29.0

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 08:32:13 UTC 2016

On mercredi 7 décembre 2016 21:06:11 CET Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 20:10:40 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dimecres, 7 de desembre de 2016, a les 10:08:18 CET, David Faure va
> >
> > escriure:

> > > OK, done. New git tag and tarball:
> > >
> > > kconfig v5.29.0-rc2
> > > 47f7e954a58ba5538d055e2f75e483cade48ee8a
> > > d6c12e0908de1b91529de15e75a52c9974685c91b423d5b5abeb06f261d0fa47
> > > sources/kconfig-5.29.0.tar.xz
> >
> > Acoording to kfunk the thing that broke kdevplatform wasn't really
> > kconfigs
> > fault but a side effect of kdevplatform code not being very good.
>
> Heya,
>
> the patch restoring the kdevplatform build with KF5 5.29:
>   https://cgit.kde.org/kdevplatform.git/commit/?
> id=e84645d1694bdad7f179cd41babce723fe07aa63
>
> The code in kdevplatform is a bit special, it's probably the only place in
> whole KDE which broke due to the recent changes in kconfig. I don't see an
> easy migration path, even if you introduce said change in a later kconfig
> release.
>
> I don't mind if you leave kconfig as-is. But that's probably something for
> dfaure to decide.

Well, the change to kdevplatform isn't released yet, so kconfig 5.29-rc1 would
break compilation of the current kdevplatform releases.

Also, the fact that I'm able to write a kconfig unittest that doesn't compile
tells me that something isn't right with these kconfig changes --- unless it
can be proven that what I'm doing in that new test is not meaningful and is
(now) forbidden, in which case it should at least be documented. This is
certainly worth another month of careful thinking rather than rushing this
into 5.29 now that it proved to be not 100% perfect.

(I don't know enough about kconfig_compiler semantics to judge myself whether
the testcase I wrote should work, or should be documented as broken).

Working on KDE Frameworks 5