How do we release dependent libraries for digiKam-5.0.0-beta1?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at
Wed Sep 23 23:18:42 UTC 2015

El Dijous, 24 de setembre de 2015, a les 01:28:14, Alexander Potashev va 
> Hi everyone,
> (Luigi pushed me a lot so I finally start this discussion ;))
> digiKam-5.0.0-beta1 is planned for October 18th, so we need to release
> its dependencies (KF5-based versions of libraries) at least as
> alpha/beta versions before that date:
>     1. libkipi (currently in KDE Applications)
>     2. libkface (currently in KDE Applications)
>     3. libkexiv2 (currently in KDE Applications)
>     4. libkdcraw (currently in KDE Applications)
>     5. libksane (currently in KDE Applications)
>     6. libkvkontakte (currently in extragear-libs)
>     7. libmediawiki (currently in extragear-libs)
> As listed above, many of these dependent libraries are currently part
> of KDE Applications, for example in KDE Applications 15.08.x we have
> kdelibs4-based editions of all 5 relevant libraries from the above
> list.

Important question, are the KF5-versions of those libraries co-installable 
with the kdelibs4-versions?

> I see two ways of releasing the 7 libraries mentioned above:
>  Plan 1: Keep the first 5 ones in KDE Applications and make an alpha
> release of KDE Applications 15.12.x before October 18th.

I don't think that is on the plan for us, the KDE Applications 15.12 schedule 
starts much later

> libkvkontakte
> and libmediawiki should also be released before that date, but they
> are not tied to KDE Applications release schedule. (Btw, is it OK if
> digikam-beta depends on kde-apps-alpha?)
>  Plan 2: Move all these 7 libraries (their KF5-based versions) into
> extragear-libs and release them.

If the libraries are co-installable with their kdelibs4 counterparts and if 
digikam 5.0 final is planned to happen after we release KDE Applications 15.12 
I guess you could release an "unofficial tarball" of those libraries clearly 
marked with a a weird number like 15.11.55 or something, with the 
understanding that you'll stop releasing those applications after the KDE 
Applications 15.12 release (assuming we decide to migrate those libs to KF5-
based, which i guess makes sense).


> Please tell us if any of these plans works better for you than the
> other, and why. Everyone are welcome to share their thoughts -
> packagers, KDE Apps release team, developers, etc.

More information about the release-team mailing list