minified javascript in telepathy-qt

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Sep 10 09:15:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, September 9, 2015 20:28:33 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

>> > Right.  So the tar can't be distributed in free software linux
>> > distributions, it would help us distributions a lot if we got tars
>> > which could be distributed.
>>
>> +1
>
> I'm somewhat confused. Are the Telepathy docs considered part of the Telepathy
> software? Wouldn't we have to submit the preferred modifiable form for any
> images or fonts embedded within the pre-built documentation as well?

Apparently. From my perspective, the packagers are being overly strict
about the whole matter. This is yet another example of distribution
policies being applied far too aggressively, to the detriment of
upstreams and users of the end product - who end up with no
documentation, or documentation which has been regenerated with a
different version of Doxygen and can therefore potentially be broken
due to changes between versions of Doxygen.

Please note that the Debian packagers for Doxygen have stated that
other packagers are simply going to have to tolerate the minified
version of jQuery as that is how Doxygen works - why are you ignoring
that notice?

In any event, as the whole content of documentation directory is
generated using an automated tool anyway, modification of it shouldn't
be made directly anyway - but to the actual source code / Doxygen
control files / templates / etc, which is provided already if I
understand correctly.

Finally, telepathy-qt is not a KDE product and this discussion is
therefore off topic for this mailing list.

Packagers, I'd suggest you bend the rules in this case.

> Regards,
>  - Michael Pyne

Regards,
Ben