More Plasma bug fix releases

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 28 15:52:04 UTC 2015

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 02:49:34PM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>>
>> understood. Maybe we can do some scripting to only create tarballs
>> if there were changes. Jonathan?
>
> It should be possible to only publish tars for modules that have got
> updates but the danger is that a newcomer to the tars will look at the
> release directory and not notice there's a missing one because it got
> no new updates.  I suppose a symlink would help.

Please don't. This would really be more work for packagers, since packaging
scripts would have to be manually modified for each release to package only
those modules that got released.
 As for the original proposal: IMHO anything shorter than 2 weeks is too
much. Looking at the 5.4.1 changelog [1] it doesn't seem to me that there
were that many fixes to grant an intermediate release. If there's an urgent
fix (security, data loss...) packagers should immediately backport it to
distributions anyway. For other fixes, waiting a couple of weeks is not that
long.

[1] https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.4.0-5.4.1-changelog.php