More Plasma bug fix releases

Maximiliano Curia maxy at gnuservers.com.ar
Wed Oct 28 12:34:52 UTC 2015

On 27/10/15 13:51, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> I was thinking about the problem of how we can get bug fixes quicker to our
> user. With a three month release cycle a one-month bug fix cycle sounds too
> long to me.

Fair enough.

> So I thought we should make bug fix releases faster and more often. In 5.4 we
> already went for this partially by having the first bug fix earlier. I wanted
> to know how much work this would mean for our distributions. If we ship out
> way more bug fix releases, would you be able to work with it? Would it block
> you? Would you have to skip releases? Or is it just pressing a button to run
> automatic scripts which upload your packages?

We can keep up with bug fixes, in most cases the bugs will affect our users
anyway and having the bug fixes released would reduce the time spent dealing
with bugs, but it would be a waste of time and resources to package things
that only contain a version bump.

So my suggestion would be to publish a 5.5 version and use the dot releases to
publish bug fixes without a fixed schedule.

The next discussion would be what should be considered a bug fix to trigger a
release, as much as I like to have l10n support, the automatic: l10n daemon
script commit hardly qualify.

> What had I been thinking about? I was thinking about a Fibonacci based release
> schedule. This gives us quick bug fix releases directly after the release with
> slowly larger intervals. Of course it would mean tag and release happens on
> same day.

Agreed on the release and tag on the same day. Can it be enforced that all the
tests need to pass to consider the part for the release (kde-cli-tools comes
to mind
https://build.kde.org/job/kde-cli-tools%20master%20kf5-qt5/PLATFORM=Linux,compiler=gcc/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/)?

Also, if possible, could you use signed tags for the releases? (on the Debian
side of things we are considering using the upstream signed git tags as a
replacement of tarballs and signatures/sums)

Happy hacking,
--
"La duración de un minuto depende de que lado del baño estés."
-- Ley de la Relatividad (Burke)