More Plasma bug fix releases

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 07:06:14 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:03:43 PM CET tetris4 at openmailbox.org wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At first glance the proposed release schedule by Martin seems very
> dense, but Chakra should be able to keep up as the Plasma 5 builds do
> not take that long.
>
> The effort and automation required for each Plasma build actually
> depends on the changes that are implemented. For a straightforward build
> we usually only change the version, but when for example new
> dependencies are introduced for new releases, a bit of manual effort is
> required to identify them and include them in our scripts.

That should not be a problem. New dependencies cannot be added to a bug fix
release.

> What will happen to quick bugfix releases? Like when we have 5.5.1.1
> for some packages when a critical bug is found very soon after the
> release. With releases being so close in the hypothetical scheme this
> might not be needed.

Depends. I had seen bugs which needed immediate attention. So I wouldn't say
"won't be needed" generally.

> What I think would really help to decide on how to proceed would be to
> take into account the related statistics to better understand how much
> of a problem this is. The number of plasma packages that actually change
> between releases could be identified, as well as how many of these
> changes are really significant ones that need to roll out to users asap.
> If it's not too much trouble, we could for example track the severity of
> the bugs that close for each release, or request from developers to
> point out new commits that they find very important in each release.

I think this is a bad idea. See my reply to Eric's thread on why I consider
pointing out individual patches is dangerous to the quality of the overall
product. Please consider our releases as something atomic and that goes over
all modules.

> The issue comes down to how many distributions can cope with this. If in
> the end most distros end up skipping releases, this release schedule
> doesn't make much meaning.

Exactly, that's why I ask.

Cheers
Martin