More Plasma bug fix releases

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 23:52:34 UTC 2015

El Tuesday 27 October 2015, a les 15:31:45, Eric Hameleers va escriure:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> >> You developers are so funny, my false teeth fell out from shaking.
> >
> > I did a serious reply to your comment and all i got back was sarcasm,
> > please let's try to be constructive, otherwise what's the point of having
> > this discussions?
> >
> > Do you really think we commit things that are not bugfixes to stable
> > branches?
> >
> > Can you name some "meh stuff" that was commited to a stable branch and in
> > your opinion should have waited for the next major release?
>
> Says the master of sarcasm.

The fact that i may have been not well behaved at some points in the past does
not give anyone carte blanche to be badly behaved, two bads don't make one
good.

> I was being constructive. Please put on
> your release management hat.
>
> But you are indeed correct, I should adjust one of my statements, by
> s/major/minor/ ; patches should not have to wait for the next
> *major* release.

That's why we have stable releases, no?

> However, I id not interpret your reply as anywhere near serious. If
> your view of distro packaging is that the packager should follow the
> git commits from day to day, minute to minute then you need to adjust
> your view of distro development. It is OK for *developers* to sit on
> top of the git commits since that is what they do. A packager on the
> other hand needs proper releases, because that makes the
> user's experience of the distro deterministic and will add the
> developer in triaging the bug reports because he knows what source
> went into the distro. If the developer wants to push critical
> patches downstream, then the developer still wants deterministic
> behaviour from the binaries produced by the distros and therefore a
> proper patch-release management is crucial.

I didn't say distro packagers do not need a release, neither i did say that
distro packagers should follow git.

In fact, I (and i'd say Sebas too) understood you were the one suggesting
that.

You said you wanted a patch tracker with all the fixes on top a release.

Sebas and me said that such a patch tracker is exactly what the stable branch
is (as far as I understand it).