More Plasma bug fix releases

Eric Hameleers alien at slackware.com
Tue Oct 27 22:31:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> El Tuesday 27 October 2015, a les 14:39:15, Eric Hameleers va escriure:
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> El Tuesday 27 October 2015, a les 14:18:01, Eric Hameleers va escriure:

>>> Yes, of course yes.
>>>
>>> Every single patch commited to a stable branch is a bugfix and thus the
>>> developer considers critical and should be released as soon as possible to
>>> users, otherwise instead of to the stable branch the developer would
>>> commited the patch to the development branch.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>>  Albert
>>
>> You developers are so funny, my false teeth fell out from shaking.
>
> I did a serious reply to your comment and all i got back was sarcasm, please
> let's try to be constructive, otherwise what's the point of having this
> discussions?
>
> Do you really think we commit things that are not bugfixes to stable branches?
>
> Can you name some "meh stuff" that was commited to a stable branch and in your
> opinion should have waited for the next major release?

Says the master of sarcasm. I was being constructive. Please put on
your release management hat.

But you are indeed correct, I should adjust one of my statements, by
s/major/minor/ ; patches should not have to wait for the next
*major* release.

However, I id not interpret your reply as anywhere near serious. If
your view of distro packaging is that the packager should follow the
git commits from day to day, minute to minute then you need to adjust
your view of distro development. It is OK for *developers* to sit on
top of the git commits since that is what they do. A packager on the
other hand needs proper releases, because that makes the
user's experience of the distro deterministic and will add the
developer in triaging the bug reports because he knows what source
went into the distro. If the developer wants to push critical
patches downstream, then the developer still wants deterministic
behaviour from the binaries produced by the distros and therefore a
proper patch-release management is crucial.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com>
Home: http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/