This is not working [for me]

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 3 12:46:34 UTC 2015

On Monday, March 02, 2015 20:00:14 Alex Merry wrote:
> > But we need to make this work better for my sanity for 15.08 otherwise
> > I'm out.
> >
> > Does anyone have any magic solution?
>
> I wonder if part of the problem is a lack of clear definition as to who
> compromises the "release team". For example, I hang around on this mailing
> list mostly to keep an eye on what's going on, and I'm sure others do too.
> But  with large groups of people, you get the "bystander effect", where
> everyone assumes someone else will do the work. And in practice, that
> "someone" seems to end up being you.

The definition of the release team was initially to have a forum of modules
maintainers that take decisions and do the work. This has worked in the
beginning, but I think we've all become complacent (or perhaps Albert has just
doing a very good job!) that involvement in the release team got less and
less.

> Would it be useful to have a core of 3-5 named decision makers, who have
> to agree between them for any exceptions to the freezes etc? That way,
> it's not all on you - it's not you being the "bad guy", it's the team
> making a decision.

Named, I dunno. Self-selected did work better in the past for us. We may find
another modus operandi that works for us now.
Immediately, I think more involvement by everybody who cares would go a long
way in supporting Albert.

sebas