This is not working [for me]

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Mon Mar 2 20:00:14 UTC 2015

On Sunday 01 March 2015 23:00:40 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I don't know how to fix it, I am not even sure what's wrong, but this was
> supposed to be a release team, and to me it seems that it's me being the bad
> guy and everyone else just pushing in for their own agenda.
>
> Of course this may be my own perception of the thing, but it's affecting my
> mood and willigness to work on stuff so I decided it made sense to bring it
> up.
>
> Some days this week i really wanted to step down for 15.04 but at the end i
> convinced myself it's too close and I don't want to leave anyone with no
> floor to stand on.
>
> But we need to make this work better for my sanity for 15.08 otherwise I'm
> out.
>
> Does anyone have any magic solution?

I wonder if part of the problem is a lack of clear definition as to who
compromises the "release team". For example, I hang around on this mailing
list mostly to keep an eye on what's going on, and I'm sure others do too. But
with large groups of people, you get the "bystander effect", where everyone
assumes someone else will do the work. And in practice, that "someone" seems
to end up being you.

Would it be useful to have a core of 3-5 named decision makers, who have to
agree between them for any exceptions to the freezes etc? That way, it's not
all on you - it's not you being the "bad guy", it's the team making a
decision.

Alex