Future frameworks releases

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 9 08:35:53 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 09 June 2015 10:28:48 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Monday 08 June 2015 10:07:40 Maximiliano Curia wrote:
> > On 08/06/15 01:28, David Faure wrote:
> > > The thread "Versioning of Frameworks" on kde-frameworks-devel has led to
> > > the idea that some future frameworks (coming from the kdepim world)
> > > would
> > > not be part of every Frameworks release, and would have their own
> > > versioning scheme. This is at the request of their maintainer,
> > > Christian,
> > > CC'ed.
> > >
> > > For example:
> > >   KF 5.12 would contain KImap 2.1
> > >   KF 5.13 would not contain a KImap release
> >
> > That's the same as including KImap 2.1 in KF 5.13, so, why not adding the
> > additional file to the KF 5.13 release (even though it hasn't changed)
>
> Tooling problems aside (I don't know about those), that should indeed work
> perfectly fine and would mean packagers can simply grab the latest set of
> tarballs, ignoring what the versions look like.

Assuming you packaged KIMAP 2.1 in the KF 5.12 release, not releaseing a KIMAP
in the KF 5.13 release would still result in having KIMAP 2.1 available from
the last round, wouldn't it? I can see how that could result in problems if
you're not working on top of an existing repository and essentially have to go
through all KF releases to find all libraries.

Cheers,
Christian