Request to make Wayland hard build dependency in KWin starting with Plasma 5.5

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 16 12:41:25 UTC 2015

On Thursday 16 July 2015 02:54:17 Eric Hameleers wrote:
> An xkbcommon package would have to be added to my repository  as a new
> dependency but that is not an issue for me.
> So, no objections from me for the hard build requirements.

A small note on xkbcommon: Qt/xcb also requires it. Please make sure
that Qt
is built with a system xkbcommon, otherwise it picks the one bundled in
3rd-
party and that has resulted in crashes in KWin in the past if KWin is
build
with a system xkbcommon.

> > The following Wayland specific dependencies would be kept optional:
> > * X11_XCB
> > * libhybris
> > * Libinput
> > * udev
>
> Thanks for that, I am not prepared to add libinput since according to
> your erlier posts it would require logind (which we don't and won't
> include) or a logind-shim (implementations of which do not exist at
> present).

Please note that libinput support in KWin does not introduce any
build-time
dependency on logind or logind-shm. It only imposes a runtime
dependency. The
same runtime dependency is also required by the drm backend. So this
runtime
dependency should not hinder anyone to build dep on libinput.

The logind integration is build unconditionally and also run
unconditionally
on both x11 and wayland.

Cheers
Martin