kopete and kdepimlibs in apps 15.08

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Aug 18 07:53:44 UTC 2015

Hellos,

So, I just noticed that kopete has:

> CMakeLists.txt:find_package(KdepimLibs REQUIRED)

we do however not have a kdepimlibs (qt4) in Applications 15.08 so
that requirement cannot really be met anymore.

What's worse: kdepimlibs (qt4) in fact has file overlap with
kdepimlibs (qt5); namely at least:
- usr/share/mime/packages/x-vnd.akonadi.socialfeeditem.xml
- usr/share/mime/packages/kdepimlibs-mime.xml
so they are not co-installable without tweaking by every distro first.

Now looking at the source kdepimlibs is used for two things in kopete:
1) kpimidentities is used in the bonjour protocol as a fallback to
kuser to obtain the users's name and email address for account default
values (this is required, although I am not sure it should be)
2) gpgmepp is used by the crypto plugin for crypto things (this is
optional, although I am not sure it should be :P)

Given that we have no kde4pimlibs source what is the intended solution
to this? Cripple kopete and make bonjour optional using a patch, if so
why not do that in the repo directly? Or perhaps have every distro
figure out which parts of the old kdepimlibs are now defunct with
akonadi moved to kf5 and package the rest for compat?

(CC'd Pali and Dan; not sure they are subbed)

HS