Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue May 20 12:27:39 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 20 May 2014 08:00:43 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 08:04:59 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > On Monday 19 May 2014 22:28:27 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > Speaking as a packager for a distro that's in group #2, I don't see this
> > > as
> > > any change from your initial proposal.
> >
> > That's correct...
> >
> > > You're proposal moves us into group #1
> >
> > ... which is what I stated I think.
> >
> > Chosen extracts:

> > So it's not that I don't understand, I completely see what will happen at
> > first.
> >
> > Now, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on something. You believe
> > there's some rule written in stone somewhere which will make the "everyone
> > will pile up backports only" the new status quo forever, I say let's try
> > and find out.
>
> I make no prediction about other distros, only mine.  You started this go at
> the topic by saying that packagers don't understand what developers deal
> with and developers don't understand what packagers deal with and we had to
> try and cross that bridge.  Given that you're on the developer end of that
> divide, why do you keep insisting you know better what will happen in my
> distro that I do?

I never said I knew better, actually I'm pretty sure I don't. OTOH I'm sure
that polarizing the situation as much isn't going to help figure out the real
outcome.

Also, I happen to have discussed with other packagers[*] before sending the
email of yesterday who have a different opinion than you do, so it can't be
labeled as our fate yet. Especially since we generally tend to do a bad job at
predictions.

Regards.

[*] Some of them working on the same distribution than you.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net