Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Tue May 20 12:00:43 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 08:04:59 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Monday 19 May 2014 22:28:27 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Speaking as a packager for a distro that's in group #2, I don't see this
> > as
> > any change from your initial proposal.
>
> That's correct...
>
> > You're proposal moves us into group #1
>
> ... which is what I stated I think.
>
> Chosen extracts:
> > > Going forward I see four options for addressing those packagers:
> > >  1) Don't care, which means we're pushing them toward the case 1,
> > >  they'll
> > >  release outdated versions with hand picked patches on top;
> > >  2) Gain the necessary trust of our downstream to show that our new
> > >  releases are not less stable than our former bug fix releases;
> > >  3) Provide a yearly LTS branch as I've seen proposed;
> > >  4) Provide release branches for which we commit backports.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > So, even though I understand why it wouldn't please packagers, I don't
> > > think we should change course overall. So the tactic we'll follow is (1)
> > > hoping to get to (2).
> > > Indeed, if we don't change course, I expect the distributions will all
> > > move to a scheme of backporting. That's unfortunate, but hopefully,
> > > we'll
> > > manage to gain the required trust to prove that the releases are not
> > > less
> > > stable than the former bug fix releases
>
> So it's not that I don't understand, I completely see what will happen at
> first.
>
> Now, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on something. You believe
> there's some rule written in stone somewhere which will make the "everyone
> will pile up backports only" the new status quo forever, I say let's try
> and find out.

I make no prediction about other distros, only mine.  You started this go at
the topic by saying that packagers don't understand what developers deal with
and developers don't understand what packagers deal with and we had to try and
cross that bridge.  Given that you're on the developer end of that divide, why
do you keep insisting you know better what will happen in my distro that I do?

Scott K