Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun May 4 12:38:01 UTC 2014

On Sunday 04 May 2014 08:09:21 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On May 4, 2014 4:25:25 AM EDT, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> >release. A

> >post-release

> >over

> >our

> >in the

> >environments

> >simply

> >that

> >branches

> >> maybe not among developers...
> >> But all normal users who just install KDE from some distro are users
> >
> >of the
> >
> >> stable branches.
> >
> >I think Alex meant something different: the branch does not have any
> >testers
> >before it's rolled to the users. Which means that regressions are not
> >caught
> >before they hit the users.
>
> At least for Kubuntu, the amount of upstream testing is well understood. We
> do a fair amount of testing before releasing to our end users.
>
> More upstream testing would, of course, be lovely, but I don't see the
> current situation as particularly problematic.
>
> From my point of view, point releases are very much tested before being
> released to end users.

I think it's great that Kubuntu does downstream testing. But what would be
much better is if Kubuntu would do the testing upstream. E.g. I'm sometimes
too scared to take a patch into the branch as it doesn't get tested. Thus
Kubuntu's testing will never reach it. If the testing were be done upstream I
could include the scary patches and would know that there is a safety net of
testers to catch a regression.

Cheers
Martin