[kde-promo] kdelibs frozen but... baloo...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 25 13:34:30 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 14:20:40 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Reviewing the text as it should be for the announcement of 4.13, I notice
> that it is quite hard to claim that KDELibs hasn't changed as it is frozen
> but 'by the way' we've made major changes to it ;-)

tl;dr -> kdelibs itself is frozen, but there is a new support library offered
with 4.13 for the semantic search (baloo). this is similar to adding a new
library to kdesupport ...

slightly longer:

kdelibs itself is frozen. baloo lives in its own git repos, under the kdelibs
namespace on projects.kde.org, see:

	https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/baloo

baloo is an additional library separate from kdelibs and the nepomuk stuff is
also still there in their own repositories under the kdelibs namespace on
projects.kde.org.

so nothing has been 'tampered' with, though we've added a new library
alongside kdelibs. applications that build against / use nepomuk continue to
do so, and applications that port to baloo's API can elect to do so as of
4.13.

--
Aaron J. Seigo