change of program icon

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Mar 3 21:47:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Monday, March 03, 2014 19:27:29 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dilluns, 3 de març de 2014, a les 13:10:30, Sebastian Kügler va escriure:
> >
> > On Monday, March 03, 2014 01:27:42 Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> > > Am Montag, 17. Februar 2014, 23:14:56 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > >
> > > would it be too late to give the game Kajongg a new program icon?
> > > The new one looks better with smaller resolutions.
> > >
> > > Here it is:
> > > http://www.rohdewald.de/oss/kajongg.svgz
> >
> > This doesn't follow the Oxygen style, which introduces a consistency
> > problem.
>
> The old icon didn't either (or that's what i think by looking at it), so no
> consistency problem is introduced.

The old icon is much more "oxygeny" than the newly proposed one, so yes, it
introduces a consistency problem.

> > An icon change like this would have to be discussed on the
> > kde-artists list, not on release-team.
>
> I agree their opinion is interesting, and if they can provide a better icon
> that is oxygen-like Wolfgang is probably interested.
>
> But i disagree kde-artists should have the power to block an icon change
> they  didn't contribute over and that affects a single application?

Saying that artists are only allowed to change the work they've committed
before is making sure we won't ever get anything done professionally in that
area.

> In my opinion this is amonsgt the maintainer of the application and the
> release-team (that is the one that enfonces the Freezes).

Then your opinion means that the release-team can block, but cannot
explicitely allow.

> With my release-team hat, I say you can change it in KDE/4.13 since you've
> already changed it in master and I don't see a need to delay it.

So we're back to doing willy-nilly art work without no concept whatsoever? :(

Let's at least bring it up with the artists and give them a chance to chip in.
Nobody is talking about blocking anything, but outright ignoring artists
opinion (and diminishing their efforts this way) is not how we should work
together.

My experience is that they're happy to help (modulo time problems, of course),
not 'happy to block', and they're usually the first ones to acknowledge a
visual problem -- which this clearly is.

My experience is also that by not even considering their opinion, or just by
not even choosing the right channel for this, we're making sure that we're not
a community welcoming to artists. Just because we *can* commit anything
doesn't mean we *should* ignore the expertise and input of domain experts.

The issue at hand is by no means so urgent that we should skip over meaningful
ways of improving the situation, and we have more suitable channels for that
than the r-t list.

Frankly, I also think we can do better than the proposed icon.

sebas