[kde-promo] The name of Applications 4.14 + 1 - how about splitting into 4-part and 5-part

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Jul 18 08:53:04 UTC 2014

On Thursday 17 July 2014 23:41:50 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 17 de juliol de 2014, a les 23:40:02, Andreas K. Huettel va
> escriure:
> >
> > It would create much less confusion than the introduction of a new
> > additional numbering scheme. (Yes I realize it may involve work.)
>
> Care to elaborate on why would it create less confusion?
>
> "KDE Releases Some Applications 4.17 and Some Applications 5.2" looks like a
> pretty confusing news headline to me :D

I think all the confusion comes from trying to use one message to address all
audiences.

We have different audiences, which need different messages. For a packager the
version number communicates something different than for a user. A developer
expresses something different with a version number than a promo person.

If we don't get clarity about what we communicate to whom, and make sure that
how we use version numbers fits into this, we will confuse people.

It's important that we have a constructive and structured discussion about
this and find a good solution. We can't take back version numbers, once we
have used them for releases, so it's worth the effort to really think through
it.