KDE's opinion on SC 4.13 for Kubuntu 14.04

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jan 19 22:28:46 UTC 2014

El Divendres, 17 de gener de 2014, a les 11:07:21, Harald Sitter va escriure:
> Alohas,

Hi there,

> Kubuntu could pick up 4.13 for the 14.04 release (due April 17th).
>
> However there are some concerns because of how the respective release
> schedules line up [1].
>
> - to land 4.13.0 we'd have to upload to Kubuntu as soon as the
> tarballs become available as we are going into release freeze on April
> 10th (i.e. no stuff gets uploaded except for important last minute
> fixes), so that is cutting it veeeery close but is still doable
> - or release Kubuntu 14.04 with 4.13 rc and push 4.13.0 as an update
> (14.04 will be a LTS release, so a 14.04.1 release will be done
> sometime in summer after which all ISOs will contain 4.13.x)
> - or stick to 4.12 and users will to explicitly opt-in to get 4.13
> packages (i.e. add our backports repository)
>
> My question now is. Do you think that 4.13 (rc) will be reliable
> enough for a release product and do you want us to try push for 4.13
> or would you prefer us to release with 4.12?

Personally, a RC is not for production, since well, it's an RC :D

Having a look at the timings, since 4.13.0 is released in April 16 and the
Final Relase of KUbuntu 14.04 is not until April 17 you could have 4.13.0 as a
0-day update, obviously this doesn't solve the problem of the CD not including
it, but who does not install updates after installing something?

So I'd go with 4.13.

P.S: This is obviously *my* opinion, not "KDE's"