Plasma Next Release Plans

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 22:29:42 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 21:01:52 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 February 2014 20:42:15 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Dimecres, 19 de febrer de 2014, a les 15:01:50, Sebastian Kügler va

> > > The Plasma team has settled on a release schedule for the first stable
> > > released based on Qt5 and KF5. You can find the schedule here:
> > >
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma/2014.6_Release_Schedule
> >
> > I find interesting that you reintroduced the concept of soft vs hard
> > freeze.
> >
> > Can you explain the rationale behind getting them back? Do you think the
> > single freeze we introduced in the latest 4.x is working worse than
> > soft+hard freeze?
>
> I just checked our discussion (for reference mail by d_ed to plasma-devel on
> January, 29th). His request was to have two feature freezes allowing to
> have certain aspects unfinished at freeze 1. So I'd say it's completely
> unrelated to the SC freezes as it's for the special situation of the
> current development state.

Yes, I think it's specific to this release cycle, as we have a wider gap from
"port everything and possibly break stuff" to "stable software", so it makes
sense to me to have a process with more steps in between.

What I've seen myself is that focus is shifting towards solving bugs and
making things work, the two freezes give opportunity to ease into
stabilization phase, while some things are still being completed.

I think once we've finished this bigger transition, we can get back into the
proven rhythm, and possibly tweak it. There were some discussions about
shorter release cycles, this certainly warrants picking up again.

As to point releases, we haven't talked much about that, but experience
teaches that especially after the big transition, we should be prepared to
ship updates in short order. For that, I'd like to (at least?) keep the once-
a-month-a-point-release cycle. We should start scheduling this as well.

sebas