Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 09:19:14 UTC 2014

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 15:55:07 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Diumenge, 27 d'abril de 2014, a les 15:15:32, David Faure va escriure:
> > FYI.
>
> Interesting fact here that original the mail was just sent to k-f-d and
> k-c-d.
>
> I am seeing similar patterns in the plasma land, where they went their own
> way  with the releasing discussion and only sent to this list after the
> discussion happened (or that's my impression) (Note i'm not complaining of
> being left aside since actually i was there in person for the KF5
> dicussion).
>
> I'm just raising the question if we want to:
>  a) Try to make the KF5 and plasma people work more in the release-team
> list  when discussing about releases
>  b) Rename the release-team list to kde-applications-release-team or
> something  like that to make it clear it is about "KDE Applications" side
> of the previous three "Applications, Plaform and Workspaces" sides of a
> release
>  c) Disband the relase-team altogether.
>
> I'd like a) to happen but i can see if being hard so i'm open to anything
> people want

a), but instead of doing the full discussion on release-team, I think it makes
sense to first find out what the team doing the software itself wants, and in
that phase, the discussion is best held on, e.g. plasma-devel, and when
there's a consensus is reached, taken to release-team for further discussion.

That is in fact how I see the past discussions. If it felt like a finished plan
is presented to the release-team, that was not, at least my, intention, and we
can make sure in the future it's clearer.
--
sebas