PIM is not good. Would adding an extra RC help?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Apr 6 20:58:15 UTC 2014

El Diumenge, 6 d'abril de 2014, a les 16:53:47, Albert Astals Cid va escriure:
> El Diumenge, 6 d'abril de 2014, a les 13:09:33, Daniel Vrátil va escriure:
> > Hi Albert,
> >
> > On Saturday 05 of April 2014 16:40:24 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > ** Please CC me and r-t list, i'm not subscribed to pim list. **
> > >
> > > Hello guys, as I hope you all know this Wednesday we are supposed to tag
> > > the final release for 4.13.
> > >
> > > I am sending this email to ask for opinions on the value of adding an
> > > extra
> > > RC and delaying the 4.13.0 release for at least a week.
> > >
> > > I'm going to explain why I'd like this to happen.
> > >
> > > Since the update to 4.13 Beta I've been having lots of CPU and I/O
> > > problems
> > > in pim related stuff, most notably akonadi_baloo_indexer,
> > > akonadi_maildir_resource & friends.
> > >
> > > On every release i've complained on IRC to be told "oh yes, we just
> > > fixed
> > > this thing and will be available on the next release".
> > >
> > > But here I am, using 4.13 RC and with even KMail closed
> > > mysqld+akonadiserver+akonadi_maildir_resource are using 100% of one of
> > > my
> > > CPU cores and writing/reading around 10MB/s to my slow disks.
> > >
> > > I find this unacceptable.
> > >
> > > So yesterday I complained again on IRC, and was told again "oh yes, we
> > > just
> > > fixed this thing and will be available on the next release".
> > >
> > > Just that this is the last bullet we have for fixing stuff, if it turns
> > > out
> > > it's like all the previous 3 times i've been told that sentence, we'll
> > > end
> > > up with a bad 4.13 pim release, and even it may not linked to it (or it
> > > may, i have no clue), people will blame Baloo, and developers will get
> > > sad
> > > and will be less motivated to be on stuff and bugs will be fixed more
> > > slowly, you know that, down spiral of sadness for everyone.
> > >
> > > So I am going to ask:
> > >  * Are you guys really sure this problem is fixed with the current git
> > >  code?
> > >
> > > If so please tell me the repos I have to recompile and I will try seeing
> > > if
> > > it fixes my problems
> >
> > So you complain about this maildir problem and when I told you the problem
> > was fixed after Akonadi 1.12 was released, you didn't even go and try the
> > fixes, yet you still complain that you have a problem .... ?
>
> Hmmm, I think you got offended here. That was not at all my intention.
>
> I'm not complaining. I'm asking to you guys if you think that adding an
> extra RC would help us delivering a more stable product or not.
>
> > Please run Akonadi from latest .12 branch. If the problem is gone, there's
> > no need to delay any release.
>
> Ok, will do.

I can confirm that updating akonadi has fixed the issue I was having.

The question still stands if you think that adding an extra RC will give us
more quality.

Christian seems to be in favour of it, and I understand Dan is against it.

Any other votes (kdepim devels only please)?