PIM is not good. Would adding an extra RC help?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Sun Apr 6 11:09:33 UTC 2014

Hi Albert,

On Saturday 05 of April 2014 16:40:24 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> ** Please CC me and r-t list, i'm not subscribed to pim list. **
>
> Hello guys, as I hope you all know this Wednesday we are supposed to tag the
> final release for 4.13.
>
> I am sending this email to ask for opinions on the value of adding an extra
> RC and delaying the 4.13.0 release for at least a week.
>
> I'm going to explain why I'd like this to happen.
>
> Since the update to 4.13 Beta I've been having lots of CPU and I/O problems
> in pim related stuff, most notably akonadi_baloo_indexer,
> akonadi_maildir_resource & friends.
>
> On every release i've complained on IRC to be told "oh yes, we just fixed
> this thing and will be available on the next release".
>
> But here I am, using 4.13 RC and with even KMail closed
> mysqld+akonadiserver+akonadi_maildir_resource are using 100% of one of my
> CPU cores and writing/reading around 10MB/s to my slow disks.
>
> I find this unacceptable.
>
> So yesterday I complained again on IRC, and was told again "oh yes, we just
> fixed this thing and will be available on the next release".
>
> Just that this is the last bullet we have for fixing stuff, if it turns out
> it's like all the previous 3 times i've been told that sentence, we'll end
> up with a bad 4.13 pim release, and even it may not linked to it (or it
> may, i have no clue), people will blame Baloo, and developers will get sad
> and will be less motivated to be on stuff and bugs will be fixed more
> slowly, you know that, down spiral of sadness for everyone.
>
> So I am going to ask:
>  * Are you guys really sure this problem is fixed with the current git code?
> If so please tell me the repos I have to recompile and I will try seeing if
> it fixes my problems

So you complain about this maildir problem and when I told you the problem was
fixed after Akonadi 1.12 was released, you didn't even go and try the fixes,
yet you still complain that you have a problem .... ?

Please run Akonadi from latest .12 branch. If the problem is gone, there's no
need to delay any release. If you still have the problem, I'm 99% sure it's a
problem in Akonadi server and can be fixed in couple days before I do 1.12.1
release which we need to anyway in order to ship top-notch KDE PIM experience
in 4.13.  If everything is fine on your side, I'll do 1.12.1 on Monday.

Cheers,
Dan