Soft feature freeze exception for DrKonqi

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu May 30 11:06:24 UTC 2013

On Thursday 30 May 2013 12:39:45 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> Are the crash reports at least matched against fixed bugs? (I.e. "This
> backtrace is a duplicate of ... and the report has been closed as fixed in
> a newer version of KDE?")
>From my experience: this doesn't work. In practice it's most of the time:
* first crash report gets in with missing debug symbols (e.g. just method
names)
* after the first round of distro releases we get more crash reports with
proper debug symbols
* we are able to match the new crash reports to the existing backtrace with
the bad symbols and mark them as duplicate
* DrKonqi is too smart, it doesn't recognize the orig report anymore, but only
the duplicates.

A huge problem is that the backtrace looks different with each distribution. We
always have something missing. Distro A doesn't have debug packages for foo,
distro B doesn't have debug packages for bar. Also quite common are differences
in versioning. In the end we don't have perfect matching backtraces. DrKonqi
doesn't recognize them, if it would we would not get that many duplicates.

It would be great if that were possible. We had cases where we had existing
workarounds for the crashes, but just couldn't tell the users. It would have
been awesome if DrKonqi would have presented it like "This is a known issue.
To workaround click here, then there and there".

Cheers
Martin