Release Strategy Proposal

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue May 7 23:33:55 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

On Friday, April 26, 2013 17:16:06 Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> 2013/4/26 Sebastian Kügler:
> >>
> >> What exactly is part of this proposal then? Is it
> >>
> >> (a) All modules which are released as part of the "KDE SC 4.11", or
> >> (b) only kdelibs, kde-runtime (and kde-workspace)?
> >>
> >> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but apparently, I'm still not
> >> familiar enough with the SC/Platform/Workspace/... terminology
> >
> > Good question: The initial thinking is kdelibs, kde-runtime,
> > kde-workspace. I think it's too early for kde-baseapps to jump on this
> > bandwagon, but you might have a different opinion on this -- or not. :)
> > That's what I'd like to find out here. :)
>
> Thanks for the clarification!
>
> I agree that it might be too early to feature-freeze and string-freeze
> kde-baseapps and some other modules now.

How do you feel about extending Dolphin 4.11 support to two years?

That's the second part of the proposal, I think we mainly concentrated on what
to freeze so far, and freeze and extended support are orthogonal. Looking at
our downstreams probably holds "the more modules we can ship with extended
upstream support in 4.11, the better". On the other hand additional branches
are more work.

Feedback from other module maintainers is most welcome, of course.

sebas