KDE SC 4.11 Release Schedule (bis)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 01:48:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Dimecres, 6 de març de 2013, a les 14:52:07, Vishesh Handa va escriure:
> > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > > A few months ago we were discussing changes regarding 4.11
> > > http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2013-January/006708.html
> > >
> > > The changes I suggested where
> > > ***************
> > > 1) Drop Betas to 1
> > >
> > >         It doesn't seem "to me" that having extra betas gives us much
> more
> > >
> > > quality,
> > > so my suggestion is to drop Beta 2 and move Beta 1 to happen in Beta 2
> > > time
> > > (moving also Hard Freeze) which gives us 2 more weeks for feature
> > > development
> > >
> > > 2) Drop RCs to 1
> > >
> > >         Same thing, it did not feel to me as that it gave us much, drop
> > >
> > > RC2 and RC1
> > > one week into the future
> >
> > I cannot say much about the beta releases, but having the 3 release
> > candidates for 4.10 helped a LOT. Do we have any statistics to back up
> this
> > claim that it did not help?
>
> Do you have statistics to claim it did? Martin reached the conclusion that
> "4.10 cycle significantly less bugs have been created than in the other
> cycles"
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2013-January/006761.html

That's not enough to suggest a correlation. We do have knowledge that some
really big bugs were found in the various releases and that they were fixed
before 4.10.0. RC3 was added because important things were found in the
earlier RCs, so we know it does help quality.

Anyway, I won't argue further because I'm late to the party and it's not
very productive.

What I would like to do is propose that going down to 1 beta and 1 RC isn't
a full policy change but a trial run for 4.11 and that it should be
re-evaluated afterwards for 4.12 once we do have some statistics and
feedback from developers involved.

That might be the plan already, but if so it wasn't super clear to me

This is especially important if 4.12 is in fact 5.0.