Nepomuk - Changing the Resource class behaviour

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 12:55:16 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 22 January 2013 18:10:14 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> *Possible Solutions:*
>
> 1. Add an explicit Resource::setWatchEnabled( bool ) function in the
> Resource class which clients can call if they want updates.
> *
> *
> 2. Disable this automatic updating all together.
> *
> *
> *When should this be done?
>
> *
> I would like to do it in the 4.10 series. Maybe 4.10.1 or 4.10.0? But it
> would involve adding a new public function. Otherwise there is always 4.11.
> *
> *
> Currently, no applications depend on this "automatic-updating" behaviour of
> the Resource class. Also, this behaviour was never advertised.

I'm the one who keeps bugging Vishesh about the performance loss due to all
that DBus traffic. Every time I select a message in kmail, it makes DBus calls
to register temporary resources with the watcher, which slows down kmail
considerably.

If you're sure that no apps depend on the auto-updating behavior, then by all
means, let's disable that altogether, as soon as possible.