KDE SC 4.11 Release Schedule

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 18 18:37:52 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 23:27:53 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 15 de gener de 2013, a les 16:30:50, Allen Winter va escriure:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > A proposed KDE SC 4.11 Release schedule is now available at
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.11_Release_Schedule
> >
> > (created using toma's really useful releaseschedule program)
> >
> > Please review and report back any obvious problems, for example
> > conflicts with conferences (i.e. Akademy).
>
> I'd like to propose some changes for 4.11, i'd like everyone to comment
>
> 1) Drop Betas to 1
> 	It doesn't seem "to me" that having extra betas gives us much more quality,
> so my suggestion is to drop Beta 2 and move Beta 1 to happen in Beta 2 time
> (moving also Hard Freeze) which gives us 2 more weeks for feature
> development
>
> 2) Drop RCs to 1
> 	Same thing, it did not feel to me as that it gave us much, drop RC2 and RC1
> one week into the future
I don't think that the number of Betas and RCs are too much and I think that
more Betas and more RCs help improving the quality. Reducing the number of
Betas and RCs means removing the chance to properly test stuff. In KWin we had
more than once that we pushed a patch to a beta to see if it fixes a problem
with the option to still revert it in the next beta. We need to do that in
case of driver related issues which the devs cannot reproduce due to lack of
hardware. If there are no betas which would allow us to do such "experiments"
we would not do it as the risk is too high, but that also means that a large
user group would lack an important improvement. We never push such changes in
the minor releases as they are not tested at all prior to the release.

I think that the 4.11 cycle was not optimal, but I think it is because it
overlapps with Christmas and New Year. Reducing the number of betas is
therefore fixing the wrong part of the schedule.

Cheers
Martin