Release Cycle

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:52:17 UTC 2013

On Friday 23 August 2013 22:10:32 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Divendres, 23 d'agost de 2013, a les 08:49:19, Jos Poortvliet va
escriure:
> > On Thursday 22 August 2013 23:35:49 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dijous, 22 d'agost de 2013, a les 08:07:22, Jos Poortvliet va
escriure:

> > > 4.12 and 4.13 will include kdelibs too (that have been almost-frozen for
> > > while but we still increase its version number on each release)
> > >
> > > Also we don't have a date for 4.13.
> > >
> > > It may well be May or July or even March or August since we haven't
> > > started
> > > planning for it and we can't do it since at Akademy it was agreed we'd
> > > do
> > > shorter cycle (4.12) and then evaluate if that had worked or not, and to
> > > evaluate it, we have to let 4.12 happen.
> > >
> > > So please be very clear June is a guessed month from your side since the
> > > Release Team has not started discussing about it.
> >
> > "As with any schedule for a major technological transition, please note
> > that the above is subject to change."
>
> Are you saying 4.13 is "a major technological transition"?

Really, is that a serious question or are you now just arguing to argue?
Sjees. It obviously refers to the schedule. Which includes the change to
Frameworks 5, Plasma Workspaces 2 etcetera. And yes, those are 'major
technological transitions' and yes, I doubt anyone would not get that that has
influence on the scheduling. Can we move on please?

> > Is that enough? Please note, as Aaron already said, that it is better to
> > have a plan now and change it later than to have no plan at all.
>
> That is his opinion, not the one that seems the majority of people in this
> team have.

What 'team' are we talking about here, the marketing team or the release team?
I don't know the opinion of the latter, but from a marketing pov I doubt
anybody would argue that it does not look better to have a plan and change it
than to have no planning at all.

If you have arguments, use them. If not, well, let's do what we proposed
please.

> Saying we have no plan not true. Our plan is do 4.13 planning once 4.12 is
> out of of the door, like we have been doing for all the releases for a
> while.

No, we were on a 6 month release cycle. While not every single date was fixed,
everybody assumed the next release would come 6 months later. Changing that -
fine, especially in the light of the big changes taking place anyway (libs
frozen for a while, Workspaces now also frozen). Stating that we want to
evaluate that change after the cycle - sure. But none of that is a reason not
to state some kind of intent for what to do after that. And as I think that
that is beneficial, I'd like to do that.