Release Cycle

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 20:14:26 UTC 2013

El Dilluns, 19 d'agost de 2013, a les 21:18:52, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:
> On Monday, August 19, 2013 16:52:28 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > which would be more likely May/June if we stick to five month cycle. Note:
> > one of the outcomes of the "shorter release cycle" BOF at Akademy was that
> > we might re-evaluate the situation after the 4.11 release. So in external
> > communication I would not yet settle for a date because it could be
> > anywhere between the three months later as proposed by Alex and return to
> > six months as it used to be.
>
> imho, that’s fine. we can say we are planning 4.13 for August 2014, and if
> we end up changing our mind we can announce that later as a clarification.
>
> we really don’t know if there will be shorter cycles after 4.11, so the
> default expectation is to keep doing releases every six months. until we
> know otherwise, that is the default plan.

Well, we almost do know for 4.12. I sent a proposal for it to be released mid-
december and noone disagreed, so i guess i could make it oficial, that's
already not 6 months, so if you ask me, it seems quite unlikely we'll do
august for 4.13 as it'll be a 8 month release cycle.

> by saying that we currently plan on 4.13 in august 2014 we communicate to
> the outside world that we have a roadmap. this is quite true, as can be
> seen by the amount of thought going in this exact topic by so many people
> from so many different angles (promo, apps, workspaces ...)
>
> so my recommendation is to go with Jos’ outline and if we change course for
> 4.12/4.13 announce that then.
>
> really the worst thing we can do for external confidence is say “we don’t
> know”, because that translates externally to “we aren’t planning”. but we
> are planning. so we do know. and that’s what we need to communicate.

But the truth is that we don't know when 4.13 will be released.

There will be a 4.13? Most probably.
Will it be in 2014? For sure
Which month? Noone knows, you can probably guess it'll be between Q2 and Q3
since Q1 would mean <= 3 months of development and Q4 would mean >= 10 months.

If you want to write a month, fine, do it, but don't say the release team
blessed it, because all the answers in this list have been "we don't know".